Below you’ll find links to tutorials either produced by me or by others, ranging in topic from NVDA to Windows 10 and beyond.
NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA)
NVDA is a free, open-source, community-driven screen reader that has been taking the blindness community by storm.
Welcome to NVDA 2015 by Joseph Lee
This tutorial series is designed for new and current NVDA users and goes through everything from installation, configuration, usage to add-ons. Listen to What’s new in 2015 edition on changes between previous and current editions of the tutorial series.
NvDA 2015 series (based on NvDA 2015.1):
- NVDA Tutorial #1 – introduction, NVDA features, installing and creating portable copy, updating NVDA and how to start, restart and quit NVDA.
- NVDA Tutorial #2 – NVDA modifier key, NVDA menu, keyboard layouts, touchscreens, input help mode and some basic commands.
- NVDA Tutorial #3 part 1 – introduction to objects, system focus and caret versus navigator object and review cursor, object navigation and review cursor commands.
NVDA Tutorial #3 part 2 – review modes, mouse, touchscreen navigation revisited.
- NVDA Tutorial #4 part 1 – touring the web with NVDA, including focus versus browse mode and first letter navigation.
NVDA Tutorial #4 part 2 – touring the web continued, including more first letter commands, elements list, embedded objects and other features.
- NVDA Tutorial #5 part 1 – Popular applications, including examples of popular apps and NVDA and Microsoft Word, excel, Outlook and Powerpoint.
NVDA Tutorial #5 part 2 – popular applications continued, including Miranda IM, Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, Winamp, command line tools and Windows Store apps (Windows 8 and later).
- NVDA Tutorial #6 part 1 – Configuring NVDA, including preferences overview, general, synthesizer and voice settings, synth settings ring and supported synthesizers.
NVDA Tutorial #6 part 2 – Configuring NVDA continued, including braille settings and supported braille displays, keyboard and mouse settings and saving and reverting to saved configuration.
- NVDA Tutorial #7 part 1 – Configuring NVDA continued, including review cursor, input composition, object presentation, browse mode and document formatting settings.
NVDA Tutorial #7 part 2 – Configuring NVDA continued, including speech dictionaries, punctuation pronunciation, input gestures and restoring default settings.
- NVDA Tutorial #8 – Configuration Profiles and NVDA Tools, including log viewer, speech viewer, Python Console, reload plugins and an overview of configuration profiles.
- NVDA Tutorial #9 – NVDA Add-ons, including Add-ons Manager, sample add-ons and final remarks.
NVDA 2015 tutorial addendum:
- NVDA and MathPlayer – an overview of MathPlayer support and NVDA with examples.
For people who wish to download the entire 2015 series can do so by clicking the below link:
NVDA Tutorial series in zip file
These were courses I taught in the past.
- Your First NVDA App Module: a course on writing app modules for NVDA (Overview):
- Introduction to app modules (introduction, definitions, contacting app developers and writing a bare-minimum app module)
- Scripts, input and output (scripts, gestures, methods, output and how input help mode works)
- Objects (objects, object hierarchy, traversal and attributes)
- Events (events, event handling, callbacks and event mappings)
- Overlay classes (Overlay classes, object init event)
- API’s (App API’s and closing remarks)
Your First NVDA App Module complete package (includes audio, Powerpoint presentations, and samples)
Windows 10 is the latest version of Windows that uses continuous delivery for feature upgrades. Below are podcasts highlighting major features through Windows 10 development.
Windows 10 build progression:
- Using Windows 10 Technical Preview with screen readers (emphasis on NVDA; Joseph Lee)
- Using Windows 10 Technical Preview build 9926 with screen readers (emphasis on NVDA; Joseph Lee)
- What to expect in Windows 10 build 10565 with screen readers (emphasis on NVDA; Joseph Lee)
- Windows 10 build 14342 with screen readers (emphasis on NVDA; Joseph Lee)
- Windows 10 build 14965 with screen readers (emphasis on NVDA and Narrator; Joseph Lee)
- Windows 10 build 15042 with screen readers (emphasis on NVDA and Narrator; Joseph Lee)
Windows 10 concepts, universal apps and other notes: